Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A miracle baby from the Slums of Africa

As you already know, my wife and I are missionaries here in Eldoret, Kenya. We were sent over here by God to minister here. My wife and I serve as house parents in an orphanage called "Tobiah Children's Home." We have 18 beautiful children in all, the vast majority of which are under the age of 3.

But today, I want to talk to you about one of our special babies. Her name is Rachel and she is around a year old. When Rachel was born, she was abandoned by her parents and thrown into the bushes of one of the slums here in Africa. This happened during the rainy season, so she was completely abandoned and laid helplessly in that bush for 2 days while being rained on the whole time, with no food, milk, or any chance of a future.

But God knew Rachel by name, and had a plan for her life. As it worked out, after lying in the rain for 3 days, a "good Samaritan" was walking by and noticed that Rachel was just lying helplessly in that bush. She decided to take the time and take Rachel to the hospital. Through God's design, it turned out that Rachel came to live here with us, where she is loved.

I tell you this story to show that even a baby in the most hopeless situation in the world, was still able to be saved due to God's love and grace.

Today, Rachel is growing up and she is a joy to be around every day. Unfortunately, she is scarred from all the events of her past. Rachel suffers with a disease known as bacterial meningitis, she suffers from severe brain damage, and also has had intestinal problems. Rachel is unable to walk, talk, or even lift her head. She has severe cerebral palsy. The doctors say that she will never be able to walk or talk in her life. That is what the doctors say, but I'm not so sure. I'm anxious to see what the power of God is able to do in her life. I know that baby Rachel has a future, so please join me in praying for God to do the impossible in her life.

We are so blessed to be able to call Rachel our daughter, and to be able to care for her every day. One of my greatest joys in life is to be able to see my wife hold and feed baby Rachel every day. It's a messy job, because Rachel is not very good at chewing. But you know what? Love is messy. And I am blessed to see the love of God every day when I see my wife taking care of Rachel as if she is her own biological Child. It really shows the adoptive heart of love that God has towards us all.

May you be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Denielle,

    Wonderfull story!

    Recently i found a merrit of people outpouring Gods grace by praying for healing. As God is Good, i assume we as christians are still learning what it really meant to be in Christ.
    You may already be familiar, but thought to share for the readers as well; Dan Mohler, Todd White, Curry Blake, Tom Fischer, Pete Cabrera jr.
    I learned a lot from them regarding the prayer of faith.

    May you be blessed also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theo,

    Thank you so much. Most of those people I'm actually not familiar with, I have heard and read a lot of stuff by Dan Mohler who I love to listen talk about Grace, our identity in Christ, and healing. He is an amazing man of God. I will have to look into the others.

    ReplyDelete