Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Called to Be an African Missionary

From the time I was 18 years old, I knew in my heart that I wanted to be a missionary specifically in the continent of Africa. I had to be patient, but my dream finally came true. When I was 23 years old, about 5 months ago, I moved to Eldoret, Kenya. Now that I'm here I am even more confident that this is where I am supposed to be. I work as a house parent at an orphanage called Tobiah Children's Home. Since, I have been here I have had so many opportunities. I know this is where God wants me. But where does he want you?........

We all have different gifts and callings. God made us all to be unique and has set a plan and purpose for all of our lives. I am different from you, and you are different from me. We all bring something different to the table. We all make up the body. The body of Christ can not function without you, and it can not function without me.

In the past few years I have read many Christian books. I have read books by Church planters in which they state that planting churches is what we are all supposed to be doing. The Kingdom of God is all about planting Churches. I have also read books about Christians who spend their time ministering to the poor. They say that the Kingdom of God is all about feeding the poor, and clothing the naked. Yet, I have read other Christian authors who say that Christianity is all about simple living. We should all sell all our possessions, and be like Mother Teresa. All of these things are great, and they are all beautiful representations of God. But....

The Kingdom of God is not about me convincing you to be just like me. It's about me encouraging you to fulfill your role in the body of Christ. We all have different giftings and callings. I work with an organization called "Children With Hope." We have 4 house parents, around 9 house workers, a carpenter, a Kenyan Board, an American Board, 2 teachers, a lot of financial donors, and a lot of people who pray and intercede for Children With Hope. They are all vital. If I said that everyone should move to Kenya and be house parents, then the place would fall apart. If the Kenyan Board said that everyone had to be a board member, then the place would fall apart. It takes everybody doing their part. Sometimes it is easy to get focused on the "missionaries." But from the point of view of a missionary, I know that it takes everybody. If it was not for everyone doing their part then my wife and I would not be able to serve in our role.

Jesus had many women and other people that met the financial needs of his ministry. That is why he had Judas as his treasurer. Many individuals and Churches made contributions to aid the Apostle Paul. Some people like Paul preached, and other people gave money in support. It takes everybody. Stephen along with 6 other men were chosen to run a feeding program in Acts 6. The apostles preached and these men handed out food. One is not better than the other. It was about doing what the Spirit of God had gifted and called them to do. Some were Apostles, others Prophets, others evangelists, others Pastors, others teachers. Some of you out there are givers. So give. Some of you are called to serve. So serve. Some of you are called to preach. So preach. Some of you are called to lead. So lead.

My point is, if God has called you to be an African Missionary, then don't settle for being a successful American Business man. And if God has called you to be an American Business man, then don't settle for being an African Missionary. Be yourself, stick to the giftings and callings that God has given specifically to you. God did not create you to be like someone else. Without you, then the Body of Christ is missing something.

God bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment